Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Declaration of Love.....To Myself


"I'm writing this blog to RECLAIM my INDIVIDUALISM!" I slammed my fist on the bed for added dramatic effect. I meant business.
"So you're writing about us to reclaim. . . yourself?" My boyfriend asked, confused.

Hmm. Good point. I best explain myself before going any further.

So many times we read about how to find a healthy and exciting love. Or, if that chapter in your life has already come and passed, these self-help books (that you pretend aren't in your home library) are about healing yourself after your break-up, learning how to be co-dependent no more, etc. etc. If it is not about how to get in love, it's how to get over love.

But who the hell talks about being in love with someone and staying in love with yourself?

What about having our cake and eating it, too? Does it have to be one or the other?

Let's get something straight here, people, before I start cueing up feminist stereotypes. I'm not some raging hippie-- I shave my legs, enjoy baking a chicken or two, and my online browsing history consists of Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn.

But I was once a woman who loved hanging out with herself before she loved hanging out with her boyfriend. And somewhere, that woman still exists. We just need to find her again. Maybe she's hiding behind the several plans with girlfriends she's blown off.

So this blog, at least for me, is a girl's --a woman's-- story about being alone, being in love, and finally being strong enough to fall back in love with myself. Get ready, ladies-- it's going to be a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment